Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 Wrap Up

Here at Reading Has Purpose, we keep it casual. So we won't worry that this post is a week late. I read some great books in 2013. And in case you missed it, I became captivated by the brilliance that is, Edwidge Danticat. 
 

Danticat in D.C., yup, I was there!


Here’s the book rundown in no particular order: 

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Long Division by Kiese Laymon
Night by Elie Wiesel
The Most They Ever Had by Rick Bragg
 Miles:The Autobiography by Miles Davis with Quincy Troupe

Why We Make Mistakes by Joseph T Hallinan
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

The Man Who Lived in an Eggcup by John Gamel
The Tempest Tales by Walter Mosley
Green Power: The Successful Way of A.G. Gaston by A.G. Gaston
PG County by Connie Briscoe
Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat

The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat
Krik? Krak! by Edwidge Danticat
The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat
The Color of Water: A Black Man’s Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride 
Kindred by Octavia Butler 

12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup
This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz
If He Hollers Let Him Go by Chester Himes
How to be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents by Zac Bissonnette

The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
The Black Sleuth by John Edward Bruce
Brad’s Raw Made Easy by Brad Gruno


And my first read of 2014 was a winner! I’ve finished The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons, and an Unlikely Road to Manhood by Ta-Nehisi Coates and started on Wealth Choice: Success Secrets of Black Millionaires by Dennis Kimbro. 




For the 2012 Wrap up click here
For the 2011 Wrap up click here    
And my favorite, the 2010 Wrap up click here

Have you started your 2014 reading yet? 

2 comments:

  1. You keep me so inspired!

    For 2014 I've started with: I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris

    Concurrently, I am finishing The Warmth of Other Suns. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I'll check out I Kissed Dating Goodbye. And The Warmth of Other Suns, it's almost impossible not to love it!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails