Sunday, December 19, 2010

ELEGANT vs ELOQUENT: Know the Difference?

I got these words mixed up in my last post. After comparing them, I quickly made the correction.



  el·e·gant/[el-i-guhnt]

–adjective
1. tastefully fine or luxurious in dress, style, design, etc.: elegant furnishings.
2. gracefully refined and dignified, as in tastes, habits, or literary style: an elegant young gentleman; an elegant prosodist.
3. graceful in form or movement: an elegant wave of the hand.






el·o·quent/[el-uh-kwuhnt]
–adjective
1. having or exercising the power of fluent, forceful, and appropriate speech: an eloquent orator.
2. characterized by forceful and appropriate expression: an eloquent speech.
3. movingly expressive: looks eloquent of disgust.


____________________________________________________

Elegant: I aspire to be as elegant as Michelle Obama.

Eloquent: Maya Angelou, Oprah Winfrey, and Susan Taylor are superbly eloquent speakers.

I gave it my best shot. Now it’s your turn to use elegant and eloquent in a sentence.




1 comment:

  1. The first lady is elegant and the President Eloquent, Mr Romney is an Elephant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails